“My first backcountry hut trip was a pivotal moment in my life and in my artistic direction.”
“My paintings are not intended to be literal interpretations of these places, but the way I feel when I experience them.”
Leslie grew up in Florida, but when she came to Denver for her first job, she loved it and knew she wanted to spend time in the mountains.
She quickly came to love skiing, taking full advantage of the resort areas in Colorado. But a few years ago, the call of the backcountry became irresistible, leading her to explore new mountain adventures on the road less travelled.
“I wanted to get farther into nature, away from the mechanical lifts and crowds,” says Leslie. “Before releasing ourselves into the wild, my husband and I took an AIARE AVI 1 avalanche training at Rocky Mountain National Park. We did a few hut trips, and we were hooked!”
A landscape painter for many years, Leslie quickly found her new passion taking over her art. “I was in the studio trying to work on other things. But really, I just wanted to be out skiing. I decided to combine the two disciplines of backcountry skiing and art, and something cool happened.”
For Leslie, the mountains, the wind, the cold, the colors – and even the majesty of silence – had become forces that demanded to be expressed through her work. “I love what the wild places have done to me and to my art,” says Leslie.
“My work on this series reflects not just my personal journeys into the backcountry, but also the incredible forces of nature and the wonder of something so infinitely greater than myself,” says Leslie, “The backcountry represents adventure, risk and a test of my own strength,” says Leslie. “In our over-mechanized world, the fact that such large, wild, forceful places exist is both inspiring and deeply comforting.”
Her new series is based on the bike culture in her new hometown of Salida, CO. “Bikes here are an artistic expression and are as unique as the people who ride them. The bikes have a story. It’s been a great way to get to know a town.”
- Leslie Jorgensen Design, LLC, graphic design, 2001-
- Art Students League of Denver, 1990-93, 2015-2017
- Metro State University, Colorado, Painting I, II, III, IV. Studied with Andrew Speer, Carlos Fresquez
- University of Central Florida, BA in Graphic Design, Minors in Journalism & Public Relations. Studied drawing with Robert Rivers.
- Salida Council for the Arts
- Salida Creative District
- Globeville Riverfront Art Center (GRACe)
- RiNo Art District
- Colorado Homes & Lifestyles Sept 2018
- Colorado Central Magazine, Cover Jan 2019
- Southwest Art Magazine, Salida Art story June 2019
- Art of the Backcountry solo exhibit, Coldwell Banker Realty, Salida, CO, Jan-Mar
- New Works with Andrew Speer, GRACe Gallery Denver, Feb 7-Mar 1
- Bones, 36×48″ Acrylic on canvas (part of my Salida Bike Project Series) acquired by Heart of the Rockies Regional Medical Center for its permanent art collection.
- Hikes & Bikes with Gail Franke, Pinon Realty, Salida, CO, May – Aug
- Salida Studio Tour, Salida CO, Sept 28-29
- Artists Invitational, Creative Framing Gallery, Louisville, Feb: People’s Choice Award.
- Creative Capital Exhibition, Colorado State Capital, June-Sept
- Georgetown Inaugural Plein Air Festival, Georgetown, CO, Aug
- Hikes & Bikes, solo show CORE New Art Space, Denver, CO, Aug
- 99 Pieces of Art on the Wall, ACCESS Gallery, Denver Sept
- 22nd Annual Plein Air Artists Colorado National Show, Sorrel Sky Gallery, Durango, CO: Allen Award
- National Western Stock Show, Young Guns, Denver, Dec
- Summer Art Market, Art Students League, Denver, June, WINNER: Best Booth
- Solo Exhibit, Studio 3, Lafayette, CO, June
- OTHERSIDE, with Kristina Davies at GRACe Studios Gallery, Denver, CO, July
- 34th Annual All Colorado Art Show, Curtis Center for the Arts, Oct
- Winter Eclectic, Artwork Network, Denver, Dec- Jan
- Expansiveness, Solo Exhibit, aBuzz Gallery, Denver, May
- 33rd Annual All Colorado Art Show, Curtis Center for the Arts, July
- Fall Group Show, Creative Framing Gallery, Louisville, CO, Sept-Oct
- 99 Pieces of Art on the Wall, VSA Colorado ACCESS Gallery, Sept
- Five Voices/Five Visions group show, aBuzz Gallery, Denver, March