“My first backcountry hut trip was a pivotal moment in my life and in my artistic direction.”
“My paintings are not intended to be literal interpretations of these places, but the way I feel when I experience them.”
Leslie grew up in Florida, but when she moved to Denver, she fell in love with the mountains.
She quickly came to love skiing, taking full advantage of the resort areas in Colorado. But a few years ago, the call of the backcountry became irresistible, leading her to explore new mountain adventures on the road less travelled.
“I wanted to go farther into nature,” says Leslie. “My husband did our AIARE AVI 1 avalanche training and after a few hut trips, we were hooked!”
Working as an abstract painter, Leslie found her new passion taking over her art and something cool happened.
The mountains, the wind and the cold had become forces that demanded to be expressed through her work. “I love what the wild places have done to me and to my art,” says Leslie. “I merged my abstract techniques with a lively, gestural painting of my experiences in the mountains. I found the results exhilarating.”
“This series reflects not just my journeys into the backcountry, but also the forces of nature and the wonder of something so infinitely greater than myself,” says Leslie, “The backcountry represents adventure, risk and a test of my own strength,” says Leslie. “In our overly-mechanized world, the fact that such large, wild, forceful places exist is both inspiring and comforting.”
- Artist at Leslie Jorgensen Fine Art, 2015-present
- Graphic Designer, Leslie Jorgensen Design, LLC, 2018-2020
- Owner, Connexion Creative, Inc, graphic design firm 2001-2018
- Art Director at Unidata Software and Ardent Software 1993-2001
- Infographic artist at The Denver Post 1989-1993
- Art Students League of Denver, 1990-93, 2015-2017
- Metro State University, Colorado, Painting I, II, III, IV. Studied with Andrew Speer, Carlos Fresquez
- University of Central Florida, BA in Graphic Design, Minors in Journalism & Public Relations. Studied drawing with Robert Rivers.
- Board Member, Salida Council for the Arts
- Member, Salida Creative District
- Chair, Salida Art Walk
- Artists for Conservation, Central Colorado Conservancy
- Globeville Riverfront Art Center (GRACe)
- RiNo Art District
- Snowdance, solo exhibit, Portfolio Gallery, Breckenridge, Jan 11-March 12
- Community Palette, Art in the time of Covid, group show, Paquette Gallery, Salida, CO
- Salida Art Walk Online Exhibit organizer
- Art of the Backcountry, solo show, Portfolio Gallery, Breckenridge, Jan-Feb
- MTNS, Group Show, Curtis Center for the Arts, Greenwood Village, Jan-Feb
- LifeHouse Denver Hotel, permanent collection.
- Central Colorado Conservancy Group Show
- Art of the Backcountry solo exhibit, Coldwell Banker Realty, Salida, CO, Jan-Mar
- New Works with Andrew Speer, GRACe Gallery Denver, Feb 7-Mar 1
- Bones, 36×48″ acquired by Heart of the Rockies Regional Medical Center for its permanent art collection.
- Group Show, Element, Denver, CO
- Hikes & Bikes with Gail Franke, Pinon Realty, Salida, CO, May – Aug
- Salida Studio Tour, Salida CO, Sept 28-29
- Artists Invitational, Creative Framing Gallery, Louisville, Feb: People’s Choice Award.
- Creative Capital Exhibition, Colorado State Capital, June-Sept
- Group Show, 307 Jackson Gallery, Jackson, WY
- RiNo Arts District, Art CSA Project
- RiNo Made Group Show and holiday art show
- Georgetown Inaugural Plein Air Festival, Georgetown, CO, Aug
- Hikes & Bikes, solo show CORE New Art Space, Denver, CO, Aug
- 99 Pieces of Art on the Wall, ACCESS Gallery, Denver Sept
- 22nd Annual Plein Air Artists Colorado National Show, Sorrel Sky Gallery, Durango, CO: Allen Award
- National Western Stock Show, Young Guns, Denver, Dec
- Summer Art Market, Art Students League, Denver, June, WINNER: Best Booth
- Solo Exhibit, Studio 3, Lafayette, CO, June
- OTHERSIDE, with Kristina Davies at GRACe Studios Gallery, Denver, CO, July
- 34th Annual All Colorado Art Show, Curtis Center for the Arts, Oct
- Winter Eclectic, Artwork Network, Denver, Dec- Jan
- Expansiveness, Solo Exhibit, aBuzz Gallery, Denver, May
- 33rd Annual All Colorado Art Show, Curtis Center for the Arts, July
- Fall Group Show, Creative Framing Gallery, Louisville, CO, Sept-Oct
- 99 Pieces of Art on the Wall, VSA Colorado ACCESS Gallery, Sept
- Five Voices/Five Visions group show, aBuzz Gallery, Denver, March